Issue of Shares

How do I Issue more Shares?


Last Update a year ago

The Issue of Shares typically happens when a company is first incorporated, but more shares can be issued to new or existing shareholders later on.

To issue more shares, you must ensure you are legally entitled to in accordance with your Articles of association. 

A meeting must take place with the company shareholders to discuss this and, if shares are being issued to a new investor, shareholders must decide if they also want to take up additional shares in a bid not to lose their percentage of control over the company.

Once the shares have been issued, an SH01 (Return of Allotment) form must be completed and submitted to Companies House.

The form requires the following information:

  • Company name.
  • Company registration number.
  • Date or dates of allotment, if you issued shares on different days.
  • Details of the allotted shares (class, quantity, currency, nominal value, the amount paid or unpaid on each.)
  • Details of any non-cash payments, e.g. if you issued shares in exchange for goods or services.
  • Statement of capital detailing the company’s total issued capital at the date of the return.
  • Prescribed particulars attached to each share.
  • Authorising signature on behalf of the company.

Share certificates for the shareholder must be issued and/or updated, and the information on your statutory registers must also be updated detailing the new shares. You also need to ensure you update the names and information of your new shareholder(s) on your next annual return with Companies House, however, you can choose to file this early if the shareholders want the public record updated ASAP.

Was this article helpful?

0 out of 0 liked this article

Still need help? Message Us